Dentistry is no longer just a case of extracting and filling teeth as it was unfortunately for years in the past. Nowadays people can turn to cosmetic dentistry, as a way of improving their appearance, just like they would use cosmetic surgery or even a new hairstyle. Cosmetic treatments can be used to straighten, lighten, reshape and repair teeth. This includes implants, veneers, crowns, bridges, tooth coloured fillings and tooth whitening.
- What is cosmetic dentistry? Cosmetic dentistry is the practice of dentistry, which concentrates on improving dental and facial aesthetic form and function. Cosmetic dentistry is required for patients who desire oral and facial restoration that enhances their appearance and smile.
- What different types of cosmetic treatment are available? There are a number of cosmetic treatments available depending upon what patients wish to change about their teeth and face. For example people with staining/discolouration may opt for tooth whitening to lighten the shade of their teeth. Crowns or veneers can be used to change the shape and colour of teeth. Patients with a gummy smile may decided to have gum re-contouring to remove their excess gum tissue to reveal more natural tooth. For patients with crowded teeth, orthodontic treatment can be used to improve the alignment of teeth. An assessment of all your concerns will be made at your consultation and a discussion of your expectations. All options will be discussed and offered prior to formulating a tailor made treatment plan for you.
- Who needs cosmetic treatment? Anybody who wants to improve their teeth and smile, or needs oral health treatment or even has a phobia can book in for a consultation to discuss what options are available.
- How do I know which treatment is right for me? When you attend for a consultation and have raised your concerns, all options will be discussed. The treatments offered will be dependent on your individual requirements and all benefits/risks will be taken into account. You will be advised of the treatment that is right for you!
- What are the benefits of cosmetic treatments? Cosmetic dental treatments can be built into all dental and oral health treatments. You can choose which aesthetic treatment will best improve your overall look. Cosmetic dentistry can help improve your general physical and mental well being by giving that confident smile that you deserve. See the testimonial section for the life changing impact, which can be achieved with cosmetic treatment.
- What materials are used in cosmetic dentistry? The types of materials used in cosmetic dentistry are similar to those used in general dentistry such as porcelain crowns/veneers and white composite filling material but are significantly higher quality and more durable long term. The attention to detail of the final restoration is planned beforehand to meet your needs using digital photographs and the latest computer software.
- What types of technology is used in cosmetic dentistry? Some dentists are able to use the latest state-of-the-art technology, such as CEREC computer based technology using CAD/CAM and 3D imaging software to design, prepare, construct and fit artificial ceramic teeth. Satya has completed many smile makeovers using the highest standard dental laboratories, which make bespoke crowns, bridges and dentures.
- Is cosmetic dental treatment permanent? Cosmetic treatments are designed to achieve the optimum cosmetic result for each individual. Each treatment utilises different materials which have varying rates of durability depending on the type of treatment and the patients overall dental health. There are no materials, which are permanent, but maintenance of high levels of oral hygiene and a healthy diet will increase the longevity of your cosmetic dental treatment. Visiting a dentist and hygienist regularly is recommended to maintain oral health.
- How much does cosmetic dentistry cost? The cost of treatment depends on the type of treatment needed and the materials used. There are several payment options available which will enable you to spread the cost of treatment making cosmetic dentistry much more affordable.